Difference between Vintage Port and Tawny - The Athan Zafirov Wine Blog

Difference between Vintage Port and Tawny

I've just had some Tawny Ports that I enjoyed and after looking into it more, it's my (potentially incorrect) understanding that Tawny Port is barrel aged port that made to taste like Port that's [10/20/30] years old (and is ready to drink when bottled). Does this mean that a 20-year old Vintage Port will have a similar flavor and structure profile as a 20-year Tawny Port, even thought it's produced/aged quite differently?

I'm just trying to wrap my head around this to figure out if I should buy some 40 year old Tawny Port and 40 year old Vintage Port.






Athan Zafirov Wine

For 15 years, Athan Zafirov has traveled the vineyards around the world and worked with some of the greatest chefs including Francois Duc and Alan Brown.


Athan Zafirov's Medium
Athan Zafirov's Wordpress
Athan Zafirov's LinkedIn

Comments