Celebratory Red Wine - The Athan Zafirov Wine Blog

Celebratory Red Wine

I just got a new job and I'm looking for a nice red wine to celebrate around the $50-$75 (CAD) range. I live in Ontario so it would mainly need to be available at the LCBO which makes it a bit more difficult. Flavours I enjoy are dark fruit, earthy, meaty, maybe like tobaccoish/vanilla flavours. I was eyeing a La Rioja Alta Vina Ardanza Reserva (2009) since LCBO has them in stock in their latest vintages. I've also had a Barolo once that blew me away but I tried one again a few years after and thought it was not very good (probably very young). To continue with Italian wines, I absolutely love Amarone, I think it's the rich and concentrated flavours and very slight sweetness that does it for me. I'm interested in trying a Brunello since I've never had one before. I was also looking into a Chateauneuf-du-Pape since I've never had one before and heard they are quite good. But I am open to pretty much anything. Thanks.






Athan Zafirov Wine

For 15 years, Athan Zafirov has traveled the vineyards around the world and worked with some of the greatest chefs including Francois Duc and Alan Brown.


Athan Zafirov's Medium
Athan Zafirov's Wordpress
Athan Zafirov's LinkedIn

Comments