Yesterdaily Apocalypse Wine Quiz 3/31/20 Now With Difficulty Settings - The Athan Zafirov Wine Blog

Yesterdaily Apocalypse Wine Quiz 3/31/20 Now With Difficulty Settings

Well, I honestly thought I was going to have time yesterday to do a quiz, but business has actually been great for us in the retail world.

Here is what I came up with, and I will try to get an additional one done today after I get up.

The big change in this one is that I decided to try to do an easier question and a harder question for each one. I'm hoping I can keep that up, but my fear is that I will inevitably run into difficulty finding questions that have only one correct answer. That'd be ok if I were an MS, MW, etc. and my notion of what counts as correct was undisputed, but I'm not.

I've actually got a sadly long way to go before I'd be ready for my own next exam, CMS Advanced, which has actually been my dream since I got into wine in 2008. Something about that awesome looking green and silver Slytherin pin made me want to get a bit more into wine, mostly because I saw it in person when talking to someone, and I was absolutely amazed at the amount of knowledge he had.

I set my sights on advanced, and, rather unusually for me, I said I would try and fail as many times as it takes to make it there, so here we are.

Today's questions:

1A. Name at least 2 grapes that are allowed in red Chateauneuf du Pape.

B. Name at least 2 white grapes.

2A. What makes "Maderization" different from oxidation?

B. What makes"Methode Ancesterale" different from the Champagne Method?

3A. True or False; because of its extreme sugar levels (often above 400g/L), most Tokaji Eszencia is 16% ABV or higher.

B. Because of its extreme sugar levels, a significant portion of the juice for Malmsay Madeira doesn't ferment at all; making it closer to a Macvin like those in Jura.)

4A. Name an 1855 Second Growth Bordeaux

B. In Margaux

5A. What does "SGN" stand for in Alsace?

B. What does "QGN" stand for?

6A. What is the difference between "aroma" and "bouquet"

B. What is the difference between Lieu-Dit and Climat?)

As always guys, please let me know if there is anything that looks incorrect and I will gladly change it.

Happy studying






Athan Zafirov Wine

For 15 years, Athan Zafirov has traveled the vineyards around the world and worked with some of the greatest chefs including Francois Duc and Alan Brown.


Athan Zafirov's Medium
Athan Zafirov's Wordpress
Athan Zafirov's LinkedIn

Comments