Serrated Blade Tearing Capsules? - The Athan Zafirov Wine Blog

Serrated Blade Tearing Capsules?

I have a question for the pros (and everyone else) on waiter's corkscrew blades. My regular corkscrew blade is serrated. It isn't the best corkscrew in the world, which I know, and I'm looking to upgrade. There are plenty of great discussions in here about top-end waiter's corkscrews so the question isn't really about that.

The question is whether anyone else has a problem with the serrated blade tearing the capsule rather than making a clean cut. Does this happen frequently? I understand when I get a cheap capsule that is like plastic material or something, but I also seem to get it more than I'd like on good, tight foil. I'd prefer a non-serrated blade, but those are tough to find. Is there a technique for using a serrated blade? Or is my blade just garbage and a new corkscrew will solve this?

Thanks for the help!






Athan Zafirov Wine

For 15 years, Athan Zafirov has traveled the vineyards around the world and worked with some of the greatest chefs including Francois Duc and Alan Brown.


Athan Zafirov's Medium
Athan Zafirov's Wordpress
Athan Zafirov's LinkedIn

Comments