New to wine (and drinking in general) - should you aerate every wine? Some wines? - The Athan Zafirov Wine Blog

New to wine (and drinking in general) - should you aerate every wine? Some wines?

For context. I just learned about aeration and decanting like 3 days ago. I went to a local meadery and bought a mead and a fruit wine (ok now you’re probably going to tell me those aren’t wine)

Point being, I asked about aeration and the woman at the counter got defensive and aggressive and went off about how that would ruin the taste of such a high quality ($20 bottle) of wine/mead/fruit wine and after that she had no interest in helping me find something I would enjoy.

Am I off base? Is aerating a thing that would benefit?

I sincerely would like to know. I aso have a bottle of ruby port that is heavy on the tannins that from what I’ve read would most definitely benefit from aeration.

Thanks for the feedback:)






Athan Zafirov Wine

For 15 years, Athan Zafirov has traveled the vineyards around the world and worked with some of the greatest chefs including Francois Duc and Alan Brown.


Athan Zafirov's Medium
Athan Zafirov's Wordpress
Athan Zafirov's LinkedIn

Comments