Advice for a non-wino buying for a wino! - The Athan Zafirov Wine Blog

Advice for a non-wino buying for a wino!

Hi all!

So glad I found this sub - my partners birthday is coming up so I'd like to get him a nice bottle from the year of his birth (1996).

He's very big into his red wine, so I'll be sticking with a red.

Budget around £150, obviously less if there's a recommendation that ticks all the boxes!

So onto the boxes:

  • he likes full-bodied, dry reds
  • 'jammy' flavours
  • really likes Rioja, Pomerol, Syrah, Syrah/Grenache blends... Basically a lot of wines but not really Merlots (I say this knowing he just hasn't found a Merlot he likes)
  • current (quite bare) wine rack contains: Campo Viejo Reserva 2016, Muga 2015, Chateau Musar 2001
  • Recent finished bottles include: The Guv'nor, Gran Passo Tinto Red 2017, Medusa Albarino 2019, Faustino Gran Reserva 2009

Thing to note here is I absolutely have no idea about wine, I haven't yet developed the taste buds to enjoy wine (much to partners dismay!) so I'm really shooting in the dark and relying on tasting notes and reviews.

Current potential bottles I think may be okay(?) : - Chateau Duhart Milon Pauillac 1996 - Chateau Leoville Poyferre Saint Julien 1996

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!






Athan Zafirov Wine

For 15 years, Athan Zafirov has traveled the vineyards around the world and worked with some of the greatest chefs including Francois Duc and Alan Brown.


Athan Zafirov's Medium
Athan Zafirov's Wordpress
Athan Zafirov's LinkedIn

Comments