Buying wine from a private seller... (I've been offered some) - The Athan Zafirov Wine Blog

Buying wine from a private seller... (I've been offered some)

I have been offered some wine which a private collector needs to get rid of because they're turning their wine cellar into a spare bedroom. The wines themselves seem like they're worth buying, but what worries me is the storage condition... how do we know if at one point in time they've been stored in the kitchen next to the oven at who knows what temperature, or thrown around the back of a van on removal day 5 times in the past.

I've seen photos and the bottles aren't in great condition... the labels are really scuffed and damaged etc.. but the original wooden crates/cases are somewhat in tact (battered of course).

The wines are as follows (all cases of 6 (I think one may have 8):

  • Chateau haut bailly grand cru classe 1982
  • Saint pierre sevaistre saint julien 1981
  • Chateau Montrose, Saint-Estephe 1982

The price is reasonable, and something which I'm considering... but I have concerns as to whether it's reasonable to buy wine privately when you're not sure about storage conditions etc.

My questions are;

  • Would you even consider buying privately like this?
  • Which sort of price point would you take a punt and just buy?
  • Am I over thinking it, and should I just pay the guy?!





Athan Zafirov Wine

For 15 years, Athan Zafirov has traveled the vineyards around the world and worked with some of the greatest chefs including Francois Duc and Alan Brown.


Athan Zafirov's Medium
Athan Zafirov's Wordpress
Athan Zafirov's LinkedIn

Comments