What are your favorite “affordable” aged wines - The Athan Zafirov Wine Blog

What are your favorite “affordable” aged wines

Sup y’all - I’m looking to add some ready-to-enjoy aged wines to my cellar (probably 4-5 cases total) and am looking for ideas!

Affordable is obviously different for everyone so maybe I’ll just throw out $80-$150 as a ballpark although I am definitely looking for your QPR recommendations!

Generally am looking for:

  1. Bordeaux: 20 -30 years old
  2. Napa Valley: 15-25 years old
  3. Burgundy: anything I can afford (lol)
  4. Piedmontese: 20-30 years old
  5. Southern Rhône: 10-20 years old
  6. Chablis: 10-20 years old
  7. Champagne/sparklers : 20 years old
  8. Anything else!

Here are some examples of well aged wines I have had that I liked:

  • ‘07 R Lopez de heredia rioja
  • ‘06 Schramsberg J Schram
  • ‘06 Duval Leroy Champagne
  • ‘00 Pontet-Canet
  • ‘89 Chateau Le Gay
  • ‘08 Drouhin Chablis
  • ‘09 Chateau Suduriat

Thanks!






Athan Zafirov Wine

For 15 years, Athan Zafirov has traveled the vineyards around the world and worked with some of the greatest chefs including Francois Duc and Alan Brown.


Athan Zafirov's Medium
Athan Zafirov's Wordpress
Athan Zafirov's LinkedIn

Comments