Wine Storage Temp/Humidity Fluctuations - The Athan Zafirov Wine Blog

Wine Storage Temp/Humidity Fluctuations

I just purchased a cheap WineEnthusiast wine cooler w/ compressor. Needed to move a decent amount of bottles, many of which I'm planning on holding onto for many years. To be sure my wine is being well kept, I installed some hygrometers, as to not depend on what the fridge tells me. Thankfully, because, to set it to 55F, I actually had to set the front panel to 64F.

My question lies with the what-feels-like massive swings in temp/humidity. The average being 55F/12C and 68% humidity; however, every hour, it swings from 48F/9C-66F/19C and 16%-88% humidity. The temperature isn't so bad (I think), but the humidity swings are disconcerting.

Should I not worry, since the average seems to be right where it should be? Or should I be concerned with the wide range of the fluctuations? Any info would be appreciated.






Athan Zafirov Wine

For 15 years, Athan Zafirov has traveled the vineyards around the world and worked with some of the greatest chefs including Francois Duc and Alan Brown.


Athan Zafirov's Medium
Athan Zafirov's Wordpress
Athan Zafirov's LinkedIn

Comments