Would you keep drinking wine if you couldn't taste it? - The Athan Zafirov Wine Blog

Would you keep drinking wine if you couldn't taste it?

I am currently auto-isolating because I got covid. My sense of smell and taste is completely gone, it's so frustrating. But that make me thing about wine (I'm a sommelier, it's my work, my life, my world).

I just opened a inexpensive red just for the sake of having a glass and is not giving me anything at all, I can feel the tannins, body and the acidity in my mouth but that's it, is not interesting at all.

Because I can't feel anything I think I would rather drink a neutral spirit diluted with water for easy drinking, if getting tipsy or drunk is the final purpose.

I see wine as an art and what I'm experiencing is a blank canvas, or better: a nice piece of art but I'm blind and I can't see anything.

So in the end we drink wine just because we like the flavour, you take the flavour out and is just a alcoholic beverage that makes you feel good, not different from beer or whiskey. Need to say though that I'm quite enjoying the body that the wine has, the mouth feeling sensation, probably a spirit wouldn't be the same.

I don't know what's the point, I guess I'm quite frustrated and this is just a rant.

Cheers






Athan Zafirov Wine

For 15 years, Athan Zafirov has traveled the vineyards around the world and worked with some of the greatest chefs including Francois Duc and Alan Brown.


Athan Zafirov's Medium
Athan Zafirov's Wordpress
Athan Zafirov's LinkedIn

Comments