Cork taint from a synthetic cork? - The Athan Zafirov Wine Blog

Cork taint from a synthetic cork?

I popped my first Alsace pinot noir last night, a 2019 Ruhlmann Cuvée Mosaïque. The first thing I noticed was a deep smokiness. There weren’t any predominant fruit flavors. Instead it was gamy and funky. All flavors I’ve liked in other wines, like a Syrah, but in a pinot noir it was all very off-putting. A friend suggested it may be cork taint, but after remembering that it had a synthetic cork I wasn’t sure if this was possible. The tasting notes I’ve read for this wine are all incredibly different than what I got out of it, which leads me to my question: is it it possible to get a corked bottle from a synthetic cork?






Athan Zafirov Wine

For 15 years, Athan Zafirov has traveled the vineyards around the world and worked with some of the greatest chefs including Francois Duc and Alan Brown.


Athan Zafirov's Medium
Athan Zafirov's Wordpress
Athan Zafirov's LinkedIn

Comments