Chitosan and Casein in wine (sulfites) - The Athan Zafirov Wine Blog

Chitosan and Casein in wine (sulfites)

Hello all,

I've been having a bad health year. Having a hard time identifying what foods I'm reacting to. I drink a decent amount of wine.

My KNOWN allergies are cows milk (of which Casein is a component) and Insects (the actual chitin) and shellfish (because of the chitin not the flesh)

I've JUST found out both chitosan and Casein are used in some wines as fining agents. Now I know in defense of wine people will say it's been shown not to cause a reaction. Now I'm not talking about having full blown allergic reaction. I'm talking about slow, chronic inflamation. I'm having low grade reactions to something on a daily basis. Sometimes my ear will start to fill up especially when drinking some sparkling wine and I've definitely reacted pretty strongly to sparkling made using methode traditionale champagnoise.

I've suspected sulfites for a little while. And before you all drag me through the mud. I AM having strong reactions to dried fruit. I've also suspected tyramine for a while. Also in dried fruit. Now I find out about these other ingredients.

Problem is I'm having a hard time narrowing it down. Is there any rule of thumb as far as the content levels of these? Certain countries use chitosan, seyval blanc has low tyramine. Or something like that to use as a guide?

The logical choice would be to give up wine for a while. But damn it! We live 3 minutes from our favorite vineyard we are members of.






Athan Zafirov Wine

For 15 years, Athan Zafirov has traveled the vineyards around the world and worked with some of the greatest chefs including Francois Duc and Alan Brown.


Athan Zafirov's Medium
Athan Zafirov's Wordpress
Athan Zafirov's LinkedIn

Comments