I am thinking about aging a case of Domaine Huet (Vouvray) - The Athan Zafirov Wine Blog

I am thinking about aging a case of Domaine Huet (Vouvray)

Hi all,

First off, let me thank you all for the indirect advice and knowledge I have gathered from this website during many hours of ‘ghosting’ the forums. I know my way around a wine cart, but some of you really have the in-depth knowledge (and budgets 😉) to speak on wine in a manner that someone like myself can only shut and listen.

However, I have come to a decision on which I would like some input. I am planning to buy a case of 6 bottles from Domaine Huet (Vouvray). Reason being, I would like to age a white wine for a long period to drink at certain intervals. From what I’ve read the wines most suited for my wanted list (white and around 30-50 euro’s per bottle) seem to be Loire Chenin Blancs. (I have also thought about Rieslings or Grüner Veltliner). I think my question to you is two-fold:

1) I like dry whites. I don’t have enough experience with demi-sec or moelleux wines to have an opinion on whether or not I like them. I understand the sugars in these wines help them during the aging process but would a sec/dry Vouvray also age well, or should I go the sweeter (or even bubbly) route?

2) What is the difference between Le Mont, Le Clos du Bourg and Le Haut Lieu regarding taste and aging potential? (My personal taste preference leans towards outspoken wines) On-line sources really contradict each other.

Help would be greatly appreciated!

I understand some of you might have totally different recommendations regarding age-worthy whites around my price-point. Those suggestions are also welcome!






Athan Zafirov Wine

For 15 years, Athan Zafirov has traveled the vineyards around the world and worked with some of the greatest chefs including Francois Duc and Alan Brown.


Athan Zafirov's Medium
Athan Zafirov's Wordpress
Athan Zafirov's LinkedIn

Comments