How long to hold for a wine fridge to be needed? - The Athan Zafirov Wine Blog

How long to hold for a wine fridge to be needed?

Hi All,

I know this answer could be detailed in response. But I have a few bottles of red wine and wondering since I plan to hold for a few years before drinking, when is the "it should be in a wine fridge at 54 degrees" verses "leave out of sunlight, stable temperature (68 in winter, 72 in summer) okay?

Mainly asking, I have 3 "nicer" bottles that I have a few of each.

  1. Red Schooner: Voyager (Cab Sauv)
    1. I can buy 2020s vintage this year and plan to drink in 2024 so hold for 2/3 years.
  2. Stag's Leap Artemis (Cab Sauv)
    1. I can buy 2019s vintage now, and plan to drink in 2026 so hold for 4/5 years.
  3. St. Jean Cinq Cepages (red Blend, the black label one)
    1. I can buy 2017s vintage this year and plan to drink in 2025 so 3/4 years.

Also, please let me know if I shouldn't bother holding onto any of these. I have prior vintages and have been holding, but I don't want to buy another wine fridge, and trying to see if I need one or shouldn't bother, etc.






Athan Zafirov Wine

For 15 years, Athan Zafirov has traveled the vineyards around the world and worked with some of the greatest chefs including Francois Duc and Alan Brown.


Athan Zafirov's Medium
Athan Zafirov's Wordpress
Athan Zafirov's LinkedIn

Comments