Help with champagne tasting - The Athan Zafirov Wine Blog

Help with champagne tasting

Hello r/wine! I am planning a champagne tasting for my dad's retirement party and I need help deciding which order to drink these bottles. I will have some snacks available (fruit, nuts, cheese, etc.) but will not be pairing these with a meal.

Paul Laurent Cuvee de Fondateur Mason Andre Delorme Cuvee Rose Brut (I know its not technically a champagne but it is delightful) Ruinart Blanc de Blancs

I am in a predicament, as I have always heard to go lightest to boldest, and youngest to oldest. However, I think my oldest (and most expensive) bottle is also the brightest/lightest. However, i feel like starting with the highest quality bottle may do it a disservice.

I purchased these three bottles from a local distributor, and was told the Paul Laurent would a have a bolder palette with more bready notes, although I haven't tasted it.

Would anyone with more experience help this novice determine which to drink first? Thank you!






Athan Zafirov Wine

For 15 years, Athan Zafirov has traveled the vineyards around the world and worked with some of the greatest chefs including Francois Duc and Alan Brown.


Athan Zafirov's Medium
Athan Zafirov's Wordpress
Athan Zafirov's LinkedIn

Comments