Pheasant’s Tears - The Athan Zafirov Wine Blog

Pheasant’s Tears

Okay so I don’t have any bottle photos but I was able to try a small tasting of both Mtsvane and Poliphonia last night. I was reading some tasting notes here from people who have tried their wines and I’m a bit perplexed. The aromas I got off both these wines were pretty similar of pungent and potent chemical, almost rubber, freshly manufactured plastic, but not quite. I can’t quite place it but those are the things that come to mind. There is a slight floral aspect to this. But they were quite monolithic in this sense. There could have been some other more natural, organic notes of fruits, etc. somewhere but maybe my olfactory senses aren’t refined enough for these wines? The taste was pretty spot on of the aromas, which I would usually say I’m impressed with in a wine when aromas and taste match. I feel like I took a deep dive into natural wines with this tasting and I really wanted to like them as the restaurant (which I’ve posted about previously) was hyping these wines up. I’m left feeling like maybe my taste for natural wines isn’t refined enough to appreciate these, and the reason why I’m perplexed is I couldn’t detect any of the notes people have described here in previous posts (a search for ‘Pheasant’s Tears’ will pull some of those up). I suppose why I’m posting this is out of curiosity whether I’m tasting a defect in these wines or wanting to know if anyone else with experience with these particular wines or other natural wines have picked up on what I overwhelmingly got out of them (so much so I can still faintly smell it the next day).






Athan Zafirov Wine

For 15 years, Athan Zafirov has traveled the vineyards around the world and worked with some of the greatest chefs including Francois Duc and Alan Brown.


Athan Zafirov's Medium
Athan Zafirov's Wordpress
Athan Zafirov's LinkedIn

Comments