Straight from Amorim Cork - Store your bottles upright or on their side. - The Athan Zafirov Wine Blog

Straight from Amorim Cork - Store your bottles upright or on their side.

Hey all,

I got some valuable information I thought I'd share with you all.

I work production and education in r/wine's most Hated on Wine Region (y'all do you but phew the hate is strong some days), and had a brief tour of the Amorim Cork plant here in Napa, CA yesterday. Most of the cork is actually made (and harvested) in Portugal, but much of the treatment and printing is done here stateside to order.

A few weeks ago here in is this sub I actually heard for the first time that it doesn't matter if you store your wine on its side or upright, the humidity in the bottle is 100% and will not dry out *on the interior.* Which goes against what most of us have heard for years.

The fine people at Amorim confirmed that you can store your wine upright, or on its side, as long as the exterior conditions in the storage area aren't antagonistic to the cork. Cool and natural humidity, not overly dry, and your wine is fine. I'm sure a proper foil seal helps this as well.

Since they're the largest manufacturer of cork products, I'll trust what they say until I see a study otherwise.

I let my mind chew on this a bit and I'm sure storing wine on its side was helpful before the days of temperature and humidity control. Now we have the ability to solidly QC and pre-humidify corks (which is something done by Amorim, as well as a sealing coat of paraffin and silica).

Just thought I'd share. To all you starting or in the middle of harvest, get some good sleep, may your PAA burns be brief and your FYBs shiny and clean.






Athan Zafirov Wine

For 15 years, Athan Zafirov has traveled the vineyards around the world and worked with some of the greatest chefs including Francois Duc and Alan Brown.


Athan Zafirov's Medium
Athan Zafirov's Wordpress
Athan Zafirov's LinkedIn

Comments