Do you remember the wine? - The Athan Zafirov Wine Blog

Do you remember the wine?

That made you realize you really like wine?

I had always been more of a beer drinker. Would casually drink wine - maybe buy a 10-15$ bottle at the store if I was cooking a steak dinner.

Then one day I was shopping at Costco and thought like splurging on a couple of nicer bottles as I started enjoying a glass here and there a bit more. One of the bottles I bought was a Pinot noir out of Santa Barbara from a winery named Kessler-Haak. A couple weeks later I opened it up with my wife to enjoy with a rack of lamb and it completely changed my relationship to wine. I don’t even know if that wine is considered good, but it opened the door to the wine world for me. Now, I’m by no means a collector - I have a 18 bottle wine fridge I keep decently stocked, but now I put a lot more effort into pairing my food with good wine and keeping an interesting selection available for date nights or good company.

And I also keep on finding new & interesting wine styles. Just this month I discovered Italian white wines out of Gavi and have been a bit obsessed.

Very thankful for that one fateful day @ Costco that opened my eyes & palette to wine.






Athan Zafirov Wine

For 15 years, Athan Zafirov has traveled the vineyards around the world and worked with some of the greatest chefs including Francois Duc and Alan Brown.


Athan Zafirov's Medium
Athan Zafirov's Wordpress
Athan Zafirov's LinkedIn

Comments