Egly Ouriet Brut Grand Cru -- what to expect? - The Athan Zafirov Wine Blog

Egly Ouriet Brut Grand Cru -- what to expect?

I am very early on in my attempts to learn more about champagne and explore beyond the big houses. I'm also trying to learn to taste wine and describe what I am tasting, but again, very new to all of this.

Last night, I tried the Egly Ouriet Brut Grand Cru (on lees for 48 months, disgorged July 2019), which had come highly rated both online and from my wine shop. I was surprised to find that it had almost overwhelming notes of green apple -- it almost tasted like apple cider. After warming it up a bit and pouring into a wider glass, I did get a bit of the breadiness I am used to in champagne, and some faint citrussy / grassy notes -- but still, really predominant green apple. Very different from some of the tasting notes I had seen online.

As I said, I am new to champagne and don't really know how to taste. Is this something you would expect from a wine like this that hasn't aged in a cellar (I think I bought around this time last year, and have heard these wines are best with age)? Does the apple / fruitiness have to do with the wine being primarily pinot noir, or is this something more common from a grower champagne for one reason or another? If you've tried this wine, did you have a similar experience, or do I maybe just need to refine my palette when tasting?

[Photo not mine]






Athan Zafirov Wine

For 15 years, Athan Zafirov has traveled the vineyards around the world and worked with some of the greatest chefs including Francois Duc and Alan Brown.


Athan Zafirov's Medium
Athan Zafirov's Wordpress
Athan Zafirov's LinkedIn

Comments