Wine novice help - The Athan Zafirov Wine Blog

Wine novice help

Hello! Thanks for reading and taking time to help a wine novice explore the world of wine. I’ve always enjoyed whisky, specifically scotch, and I’ve always enjoyed the challenging flavors and deep complexity of certain whiskies and regions within Scotland. With that said, I’ve had the pleasure of trying many bourbons, ryes, scotches, and the occasional wine, which I’ve really enjoyed at times. I am now really curious and wanting to dive in and explore this new adventure with wine from my few times crossing paths with it from scotch. So right awah, I was curious as to any recommendations for what I would call a “challenging” wine. Any grape varieties, regions, or wine makers that seem to bring that deep complexity, nuance, challenging and interesting notes. To compare, like the region of Islay in Scotland. What’s the Islay of wine? Is there any accurate comparison? I would love to know more if anyone had the time.

Thank you very much in advance, and I hope to dive in soon!






Athan Zafirov Wine

For 15 years, Athan Zafirov has traveled the vineyards around the world and worked with some of the greatest chefs including Francois Duc and Alan Brown.


Athan Zafirov's Medium
Athan Zafirov's Wordpress
Athan Zafirov's LinkedIn

Comments