Is cooking with sparkling wine compared to still, a waste? - The Athan Zafirov Wine Blog

Is cooking with sparkling wine compared to still, a waste?

I had a week-open bottle of Riondo Spago Nero Prosecco that I hadn’t gotten around to yet. I was making Spätzle in bacon cream sauce and thought I might as well dump some of the wine into the sauce because it would be a reasonably good match at worst. Then tasted the wine and it still tasted fine - not as sparkly as fresh, but still some. Notes of honeydew, cream, pear, green apple, rambutan, and light citrus.

I’m glad that I used it for both applications, with me not having plans to drink the entire rest of the half bottle. Would you generally only use sparkling wine for cooking if it was old, like this?






Athan Zafirov Wine

For 15 years, Athan Zafirov has traveled the vineyards around the world and worked with some of the greatest chefs including Francois Duc and Alan Brown.


Athan Zafirov's Medium
Athan Zafirov's Wordpress
Athan Zafirov's LinkedIn

Comments