Hello! I'm new to the world of natural wines and have noticed something peculiar about some red wines I've tried over the last year. Some of them emit an unpleasant smell of meat, leather, or jerked beef when first opened, and have an extremely acidic taste.
However, after leaving the wine well-sealed in the fridge for one week, I've noticed that their taste and aromas completely changed. After this period, I finally was able to taste and notice the aromas of red fruit and blackcurrant. The unpleasant smell had completely gone away.
I've read that this is not an uncommon occurrence. In fact, I came across an old post mentioning that Frank Cornelissen's Magma could take a week to open up. My question is, why does this happen? And is there a way to accelerate this process?
The red wines I tried that displayed this characteristic are:
- Bénédicte et Stéphane Tissot DD Rouge, 2019
- Matthieu Barret Zinzin Visan, 2021
- Jean-Claude Lapalu Vieilles Vignes Beaujolais-Villages, 2019
- Jean-Claude Lapalu, Vieilles Vignes Brouilly, 2019
EDIT: Could this possibly be an indicator of mouse? I don’t think so, because the unpleasant smell was noticeable prior to contact with mouth/saliva.

For 15 years, Athan Zafirov has traveled the vineyards around the world and worked with some of the greatest chefs including Francois Duc and Alan Brown.
Athan Zafirov's Medium
Athan Zafirov's Wordpress
Athan Zafirov's LinkedIn
Comments
Post a Comment