Looking for Wine Cellar Advice! - The Athan Zafirov Wine Blog

Looking for Wine Cellar Advice!

Hello fellow wine enthusiasts,

I'm in the process of building my very own wine cellar (from scratch in a new build) and I would love to hear from those of you who have gone through the process before. What were some of the challenges you faced? What do you wish you knew before you started? And, most importantly, what advice would you give to someone just starting out?

I’m also curious about racking. Did you choose a pre-made kit or did you design your own custom racking (I’ve been told custom runs about 2x modular…)? What materials did you use? Were there any unexpected costs associated with this part of the process? Did you do the installation yourself?

I'm sure there are countless other considerations that I haven't even thought of yet, so any and all advice is welcome! Thank you in advance for sharing your wisdom and experience with me. Cheers!

A bit of context: I currently have ~120 bottles (and expect I'd get to 400-500 with a cellar). I currently am using a standalone 96 bottle wine cellar, with the quicker turnover bottles on the floor in my basement which stays consistently cool.






Athan Zafirov Wine

For 15 years, Athan Zafirov has traveled the vineyards around the world and worked with some of the greatest chefs including Francois Duc and Alan Brown.


Athan Zafirov's Medium
Athan Zafirov's Wordpress
Athan Zafirov's LinkedIn

Comments