Help me understand French reds - The Athan Zafirov Wine Blog

Help me understand French reds

I’ve tried and tried to get into French wines (specifically red) and they all have an overpowering flavour of dirt and are quite unenjoyable and I struggle every time.

I understand old world wine is less fruit forward but the thought of people paying $1000+ for a bottle of this stuff does my head in. What am I missing here?

For context I love Australian Shiraz/Cab and Italian (all regions). Please help me understand French red and maybe even some reds that don’t take like licking the floor.






Athan Zafirov Wine

For 15 years, Athan Zafirov has traveled the vineyards around the world and worked with some of the greatest chefs including Francois Duc and Alan Brown.


Athan Zafirov's Medium
Athan Zafirov's Wordpress
Athan Zafirov's LinkedIn

Comments