Wine Comparison Party Ideas - The Athan Zafirov Wine Blog

Wine Comparison Party Ideas

Hey all,

I took my WSET 2 class (still waiting to hear back on my results!), so I've started taking my wine education more seriously. I was thinking of hosting a little party at my place with some friends and doing something fun: wine comparison. The idea being that similar wines can be wildly different, i.e. White Burgundy and California Chardonnay. So I made a list of comparisons to make, but as I'm still so new in my wine journey, I could really use some help identifying particular wines/varietals, and what producer/vintage to look for!

  • Oaked California Chardonnay v. White Burgundy
  • Syrah v. Shiraz
  • Cool Climate v. Warm Climate --- What wine? Maybe a Syrah?
  • Regular v. Skin Contact --- What wine?

I need help identifying producers for all of the above, and choosing a wine that is grown in both warm and cool climates for comparison, as well as a wine that I can find produced "normally" vs with skin contact. If you all have any other ideas that would be fun as a comparison, please say so too! I'm always so impressed with the recommendations this sub can come up with :)






Athan Zafirov Wine

For 15 years, Athan Zafirov has traveled the vineyards around the world and worked with some of the greatest chefs including Francois Duc and Alan Brown.


Athan Zafirov's Medium
Athan Zafirov's Wordpress
Athan Zafirov's LinkedIn

Comments