Can someone please explain the different views of modern & traditional Barolo? - The Athan Zafirov Wine Blog

Can someone please explain the different views of modern & traditional Barolo?

I’ve only recently begun my journey into discovering wine, and have seen people say that many “modern” Barolo wines are nothing like the “traditional” Barolo taste.

I’ve not yet tried a Barolo, but I’ve picked up a bottle, a 2018 Barolo Serralunga from Pira Luigi. Speaking to the expert in the wine shop, he stated that this would be more akin to the “traditional” Barolo taste than some of the other (cheaper) wines on offer. What does this mean? Why are there such differences in taste in this wine? I’d appreciate any insight you can offer, or some resources you can point me in the direction of. Thank you.






Athan Zafirov Wine

For 15 years, Athan Zafirov has traveled the vineyards around the world and worked with some of the greatest chefs including Francois Duc and Alan Brown.


Athan Zafirov's Medium
Athan Zafirov's Wordpress
Athan Zafirov's LinkedIn

Comments