How to read an expiry date? - The Athan Zafirov Wine Blog

How to read an expiry date?

The place I work has a load of old bottles of wine from previous wine menus and we're giving them away to staff. Whilst I'm confident they're safe to drink, I don't know if they're good to drink, and can't make head or tail of the expiry dates.

I've got some 2015 and 2016 Riesling which I assume is not going to be a world beating drinking experience, but then I've got some others I can't really tell how old they are.

On a bottle of Pinotage I've got a label whcih has the code "L1345 2 19:07"; is that an expiry date? I've also got a bottle of "The Guv'Nor" which says "L223341501J 18:30". It looks like they might be expiry dates but I'm bamboozled!






Athan Zafirov Wine

For 15 years, Athan Zafirov has traveled the vineyards around the world and worked with some of the greatest chefs including Francois Duc and Alan Brown.


Athan Zafirov's Medium
Athan Zafirov's Wordpress
Athan Zafirov's LinkedIn

Comments