First time trying wine last night - The Athan Zafirov Wine Blog

First time trying wine last night

So last night was my birthday, and my family and I went to a very nice steakhouse. My mother, who greatly enjoys wine, suggested I try some. I’ve never been much of a drinker though I have been curious. I asked our waitress what wines she would recommend for a first-time wine drinker, and I informed her that when I do drink, I always get sweet cocktails like vodka cranberries and Cosmopolitans and nothing with fizz.

She then said that a Riesling would be great for me especially considering the sea scallops I ordered, which would be a good pair. She poured me a sample of some ‘22 Chateau Ste Michelle “Eroica”, and my initial aroma impressions were of a rather sweet nectarine/peachy sort of smell.

Upon drinking it, I found it to be rather smooth and possessing a very tart citrus-y and fruit taste, with a hint of grape and peach. The taste of alcohol was not terribly strong and it did pair well with my scallops.

Overall, I’d say it was quite enjoyable to drink. Forgive me if my terminology is quite bad, but I figured I’d share my experience. I’m wondering what else I should try if I liked this one?






Athan Zafirov Wine

For 15 years, Athan Zafirov has traveled the vineyards around the world and worked with some of the greatest chefs including Francois Duc and Alan Brown.


Athan Zafirov's Medium
Athan Zafirov's Wordpress
Athan Zafirov's LinkedIn

Comments