Green Bell Pepper aromas/flavor in red Burgundy? - The Athan Zafirov Wine Blog

Green Bell Pepper aromas/flavor in red Burgundy?

I've noticed that I get a strong aroma of green bell peppers/vegetal aromas when trying red Burgundy wines or cool climate California Pinot Noir (Mendocino Ridge). It's not unpleasant or anything but whenever I see reviewers tasting notes for these bottles online, nobody seems to mention it. I do find that the aroma dies down quite a bit as the wine opens up after 1-2 hours.

A quick Google search tells me that green bell pepper aromas in wine typically comes from pyrazines but it doesn't seem like pyrazines are typically prominent in Pinot noir?

Does anyone else get similar aromas? Is this a typical aroma for Pinot Noir? Or am I just mischaracterizing what I'm smelling?

Thanks!






Athan Zafirov Wine

For 15 years, Athan Zafirov has traveled the vineyards around the world and worked with some of the greatest chefs including Francois Duc and Alan Brown.


Athan Zafirov's Medium
Athan Zafirov's Wordpress
Athan Zafirov's LinkedIn

Comments