Humidity / Wine frig question - The Athan Zafirov Wine Blog

Humidity / Wine frig question

Question: do I need to be concerned about what a lower humidity level will do to the wines in my wine frig?

Background: I store about 100 bottles in a fairly standard, no frills wine frig. This frig does not have any sort of humidity control. The frig is in our basement - about the only place it can go in our house. We run a dehumidifier down there in the summer, and here in the upper Midwest the whole house gets a bit drier in the winter. (We have a humidifier on the furnace but it still gets dry relatively speaking.) I mostly store 3-5 year old CA cabs, and will likely drink them in 1-3 years. I am not one of those folks who buys nice Bordeaux’s and has the patience or room to sit on them for 10-20 years. Do I need to be concerned about any humidity impact on the bottles in the frig?






Athan Zafirov Wine

For 15 years, Athan Zafirov has traveled the vineyards around the world and worked with some of the greatest chefs including Francois Duc and Alan Brown.


Athan Zafirov's Medium
Athan Zafirov's Wordpress
Athan Zafirov's LinkedIn

Comments