Newbie seeking advice! - The Athan Zafirov Wine Blog

Newbie seeking advice!

I work at a liquor store and primarily drink scotch and gin, the other week I got an invitation to one of our distributors offices for a wine course. We went over multiple different types of wine mostly from my country (New Zealand) so obviously we started out going over Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Gris, Chardonnay aswell as our popular Red varietals like Pinot Noir, Cab Savs, Merlot and some Shiraz from across the ditch.

However I tried something I had never tried before, Champagne. I loved it, we tasted and went over Pol Roger and the history behind it, It’s the first thing I’ve been blown away by since first getting into single malt scotch.

For Christmas this year I want to have a few bottles of champagne to enjoy with my partner and her family, my partner doesn’t drink much and when she does she needs something sweet lol

I’m thinking of getting a bottle of Moët Nectar Imperial for her, specifically because i know it’ll be sweeter and more approachable. I want a bottle of Pol Roger for sure and I might just get a bottle of Veuve just to see what that whole rave is about.

Is there anything else you guys could or would recommend? Nothing too abstract as we don’t have a huge variety here in nz, we have all the main staple houses but anything other than the flagship bottles like ‘Blanc de Blanc’ or even just a ‘rose’ champagne usually quite expensive.

Cheers, appreciate your time :)






Athan Zafirov Wine

For 15 years, Athan Zafirov has traveled the vineyards around the world and worked with some of the greatest chefs including Francois Duc and Alan Brown.


Athan Zafirov's Medium
Athan Zafirov's Wordpress
Athan Zafirov's LinkedIn

Comments