Trying Back Vintages - First Timer Questions - The Athan Zafirov Wine Blog

Trying Back Vintages - First Timer Questions

Going to be near The Winehouse (LAX) soon and saw they have an insane collection of back vintages. I’m new to those; a 2015 Mondavi over Thanksgiving piqued my interest.

What I mean by aged/back vintage is approx 6-12 years old. I know that’s hardly aged to some, but it’s older than supermarkets and big box stores. Spending $50-$100 on current release stuff just feels wrong.

Here’s what I’d like to pick up for ~$80/btl ea.

  1. A stereotypical aged Oakville cab a la Shafer, Nickel & Nickel, etc. Stag/‘Ville usual suspects. Is older, as in 2007 better? Or is 2012-2015 ish better?

  2. A stereotypical new world Pinot: Thinking Williams-Selyma based on other comments here but could be talked into CA or WA. Recommendations, please!

  3. A nice Italian red; perhaps an upgraded, for lack of a better word, Chianti. Intellectually I know that means Brunello. I really like Italian wines, with Sicilian styles being my least favorite. I know this is vague; anything smooth, dark, and dry will do nicely. Is 10 year old enough?

  4. EITHER a French chenin: I assume it will be a Vouvray but don’t really know what I’m doing. Do like dry new world chenins (CA/NY, not S. Africa) — OR a nice Gruner. I like GV for the dryness and value. For the Gruner I don’t know if I should seek out age or just find a higher quality producer’s recent release.

If this info helps, here are my supermarket tastes. Like: Vinho Verde (Espiral from Trader Joes), Vernaccia (Pietro from T/W), Gruner (Kermit Lynch, pls n scolding), Riesling (Trocken, no Mosel), Stags Leap or blue bottle Decoy merlot, Seghisio Zin, Goldeneye Pinot, almost all Chianti Classicos. Do not like: Supermarket ($25 and below) tier California Cab (don’r think the pervasive campfire carmel flavor goes with the green olive notes AT ALL), Bordeaux, Burgundy, Spanish; or really any kind of Chardonnay or Sauv Blanc.

But alas, the other people who will be sharing these don’t share my taste, and I don’t really mind oak on reds even though I dislike it on whites. Excited to visit Wine House. Not worried about nailing my taste or extracting as much value as possible. The learning experience and getting to buy something nicer than usual is the treat. Don’t want to get age-greedy and get the oldest in budget just for the sake of it, though.

Thank you so much!






Athan Zafirov Wine

For 15 years, Athan Zafirov has traveled the vineyards around the world and worked with some of the greatest chefs including Francois Duc and Alan Brown.


Athan Zafirov's Medium
Athan Zafirov's Wordpress
Athan Zafirov's LinkedIn

Comments