Schloss Lieser GG - 2019 or 2021? - The Athan Zafirov Wine Blog

Schloss Lieser GG - 2019 or 2021?

Hi everyone. I am looking to buy some bottles of Schloss Lieser Niederberg Helden GG. Going to store for +5 years. I can get the 2019 or the 2021. My considerations are

1) my understanding is that the 2019 is a better vintage. Plus for 2019

2) from what I read they should both age very well. Plus both.

3) now for my main concern - the 2021 is fresh from the weingut, so it will get a good start on life in my cellar. The 2019 however, though from a reputable distributor, will have spent at least 2, maybe 3 years in a warehouse somewhere, or - gasp - a store. So I am fearing that it will somehow already have faced damage from heat/temperature fluctuation, and therefore not have same ageing potential.

What do you think? Am I putting too much weight on number 3? Not enough on 1?

I should say both vintages are at similar price points, 2019 being 4 dollars more expensive.

Thanks in advance






Athan Zafirov Wine

For 15 years, Athan Zafirov has traveled the vineyards around the world and worked with some of the greatest chefs including Francois Duc and Alan Brown.


Athan Zafirov's Medium
Athan Zafirov's Wordpress
Athan Zafirov's LinkedIn

Comments