Wine pairings for mahler’s 9th symphony - The Athan Zafirov Wine Blog

Wine pairings for mahler’s 9th symphony

Hey y’all! So, I’m hoping there are some classical music nerds in this group. I’m a somm, and I was a music major in college, and for my birthday this year I am renting out my apartment building’s movie room and I am going to use the Berlin philharmonic digital concert hall to stream mahler’s 9th symphony. I plan to pair a wine with each movement of the symphony. The only thing I have worked out is that the last movement will be paired with a chateau chalon vin jaune. I haven’t worked out exactly which one yet but that is beside the point. I have general ideas about what I want to do, but I want to crowd source some ideas for the first three movements. Any input is appreciated. I know this is a wildly pretentious event, but I think it will be really fucking cool if I do it correctly. I need wines that have tension, and I need the progression to make sense. Thank you in advance for your input!!!

So far my ideas are a white burgundy for mvt. 1, high acid Riesling for mvt. 2, and maybe a young barbaresco for 3? The 3rd movement is the hardest to pair in my opinion. I’m based in New Orleans so anyone with knowledge of what is in our market should absolutely reply to this.






Athan Zafirov Wine

For 15 years, Athan Zafirov has traveled the vineyards around the world and worked with some of the greatest chefs including Francois Duc and Alan Brown.


Athan Zafirov's Medium
Athan Zafirov's Wordpress
Athan Zafirov's LinkedIn

Comments