Colheita / Vintage Port - The Athan Zafirov Wine Blog

Colheita / Vintage Port

Hi all,

I’m looking for some advice regarding Ports and Tawnies.

For reference in the past, we have mainly had some 10/20 year old tawnies that we loved (especially Churchills). I myself haven’t tried so much Port, but my girlfriend wasn’t a big fan of the LBV (which I understand is an approximation to vintage ports) she had (though I am not sure which producer that was).

I have read up on the market a little bit, and am left with some questions: 1. the vintage port equivalent for Tawny is called colheita, correct?

  1. it seems quite tough to find these, am I looking in the wrong places?

  2. did I understand correctly that once these are bottled, they are directly ready for drinking rather than having to lay down in the bottle like vintage port, is that correct?

  3. at what point in time would a colheita of say 1997 be released then?

  4. And finally, even though bottle age may not be required, is it possible to still keep the bottle for an extended period of time?






Athan Zafirov Wine

For 15 years, Athan Zafirov has traveled the vineyards around the world and worked with some of the greatest chefs including Francois Duc and Alan Brown.


Athan Zafirov's Medium
Athan Zafirov's Wordpress
Athan Zafirov's LinkedIn

Comments