Bouzy Rouge 2016 - Georges Vesselle - The Athan Zafirov Wine Blog

Bouzy Rouge 2016 - Georges Vesselle

https://preview.redd.it/uszwyqld4tfd1.jpg?width=4536&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=065f32c0d3462fc5847591dcd41a5b3965325016

Georges Vesselle Bouzy Rouge (Grand Cru) 2016

Dang, I found this to be a bit of a bummer. Not the most versed in Coteaux Champenois (CC), but compared to what I have had (to be fair, much more expensive offerings from Egly Ouriet) I think this fell a bit short. The wine felt super thin, hollow in the mid palate, and lacking varietal character. And....it is already showing massive brick change at the rim; it's only 2016! Yes, yes, yes it is an 8 year old Pinot Noir that is lower ABV (11.5%), so I likely should have known better. However, it was aged in barrel for 6 years, so to be fair it's only around 2 years into its release and probably just at the start of the drinking window? Winos help this make sense to me. I know CC suffers (?) from crazy regulations in Champagne. However I was disappointed by this end product.

My $0.02: spend the same money and get something better from Burgundy. Or something better from Willamette Valley. Don't go down this route, unless you're looking for an interesting experience (which to be fair, I was!).

Score: 88/100

TL; DR: An interesting experience, but I'd stick to Vesselle's low dosage bubbly in the future!






Athan Zafirov Wine

For 15 years, Athan Zafirov has traveled the vineyards around the world and worked with some of the greatest chefs including Francois Duc and Alan Brown.


Athan Zafirov's Medium
Athan Zafirov's Wordpress
Athan Zafirov's LinkedIn

Comments