Surprising wines popularity - The Athan Zafirov Wine Blog

Surprising wines popularity

What do you think are some wines from a specific region that you were surprised to see popular in another region?

For instance, I was surprised to read on this sub that German Mosel wines seem to be quite popular in the US.

I am French and I have visited the Mosel region a couple of times but these are not well known in France. The average French would raise eyebrows if I say I drink German wine as they do not associate the country with wines to start with. Now I live in Benelux and it is already more common to see them in supermarkets/wine shops as opposed to France.

Another example that comes to mind is how crazy popular Prosecco is in the UK. I only learned about it when I lived there, as Champagne would be the number one choice in France, Prosecco being more niche.

I am sure there are many other examples like this in other regions. Interesting to wonder why as well. Consumer choice? Or more likely trade agreements/import duties? Successful promotion campaigns over decades?






Athan Zafirov Wine

For 15 years, Athan Zafirov has traveled the vineyards around the world and worked with some of the greatest chefs including Francois Duc and Alan Brown.


Athan Zafirov's Medium
Athan Zafirov's Wordpress
Athan Zafirov's LinkedIn

Comments