Why do so many places not chill pinot noirs? - The Athan Zafirov Wine Blog

Why do so many places not chill pinot noirs?

I’m by no means an expert, but I used to work at a wine bar and the owner/somm (WSET certified) was very insistent that we serve our pinot noirs chilled unless requested otherwise, and from what I understand, pinot noir is intended to be a cellar temperature red. Something to do with its delicacy and acidity (again, I’m not an expert). Of course, there is nothing wrong with room temperature pinot noir for casual consumption, it’s not like a white that absolutely must be chilled, but so many prim and proper places I’ve worked at since (wedding venues, luxury hotels, and a fine dining restaurant) serve their pinot noirs room temp. Yet, they follow the ‘rules’ so tightly with everything else. I’m always afraid to bring it up because I don’t want to sound like a snob. But I wonder why this serving rule, which of course is flexible but seems like it should be more enforced in more upscale settings, is so often ignored? Is it just a lack of knowledge?






Athan Zafirov Wine

For 15 years, Athan Zafirov has traveled the vineyards around the world and worked with some of the greatest chefs including Francois Duc and Alan Brown.


Athan Zafirov's Medium
Athan Zafirov's Wordpress
Athan Zafirov's LinkedIn

Comments