Looking back at 1 year working in a local wine shop. And a huge of list of wines I tried and enjoyed. - The Athan Zafirov Wine Blog

Looking back at 1 year working in a local wine shop. And a huge of list of wines I tried and enjoyed.

After finishing my WSET 2 I got a job in a local wine shop 1 year ago. Between our wine station and distributors coming by to have us taste wines, I probably tried about 20 new wines a week. I kept a list of every wine I wanted to buy for myself at the price point, or recommend to friends.

The biggest things I learned is that my personal tastes changed drastically, preferring white wine now whereas before I drank very little of it. I also prefer things much drier, which is probably expected. I try to figure out where my customers are in their journey from fruity reds to dry whites when I make recommendations. I also learned that I am awful at identifying tasting notes - I think that's more of a 10-year skill than a 1-year skill. And finally, wtf is minerality?

Also, in my opinion 99% of the wines I tried from an obscure variety were neither good nor bad - just unimpressive.

Without further ado here is my big list of notable wines. There are too many for notes, I'll try to bold my top favorites and strong recommendations.

White

  • Grounded SB
  • Pullus Pinot Grigio
  • Koferhof Kerner
  • Streghe Falanghina
  • Pieropan Soave
  • Eva Fricke Rheingau Trocken Riesling
  • Anything Zahel
  • Withers Chardonnay
  • Presquile SB
  • Marc Bredif Vouvray
  • Francois Chidaine Montlouis Les Bournais
  • Luigi Dragon
  • Drouhin Puligny-Montrachet
  • Michelle Chiarlo Nivole Moscato
  • Wiemer Riesling

Rose

  • Bernejo Listan Negro Rosado Canary Islands

Sparkling

  • Egly-Ouriet Les Premices
  • Jean Vesselle Oeil de Perdrix
  • Lafalise Froissart 045
  • Murgo Brut

Red

Bordeaux

  • Beychevelle
  • Le Petit Figeac
  • Tempo D'Angelus
  • Dufort-Vivens Les Plantes
  • Lilian Ladouys

Cabernet

  • Heitz Cellar Napa Valley
  • Stag's Leap Artemis
  • Immortal Cab Sav
  • Chiron Mountain Reserve
  • The Pact Coombsville
  • Alexander Valley Vineyards Cabernet
  • Fluffy Billows Oakville Cabernet
  • Faust

Pinot Noir

  • Rose Rock Zephirine
  • Bernard Defaix Bourgogne
  • Shea Wine Cellars Estate Pinot
  • Sylvain Pataille Marsannay 'Clos du Roy'

Rhone

  • Rouge Serine Clusel-Roche
  • Anne Pichon Sauvage

Others:

  • Dei Vin Nobile di Montepulciano
  • Luigi Einaudi Dogliani
  • Secrets del Priorat
  • Camins del Priorat
  • Anciano no. 10
  • Radio Boka
  • Borsao
  • Alexander Valley Vineyards Merlot
  • Robert Foley Charbono
  • Angels and Cowboys
  • Domaine De Fa Julienas
  • Tzingarella Red Blend
  • Seghesio Zinfandel





Athan Zafirov Wine

For 15 years, Athan Zafirov has traveled the vineyards around the world and worked with some of the greatest chefs including Francois Duc and Alan Brown.


Athan Zafirov's Medium
Athan Zafirov's Wordpress
Athan Zafirov's LinkedIn

Comments