I'm Canadian and curious why I sometimes see so much variance in wine pricing from one province to another. For example, I recently picked up a 2018 Larrivet Haut Brion Pessac Leognan for $50 from costco (Alberta), which seemed like a great deal. Other Alberta merchants have this same wine selling for $113 (2022), or $85 (2021), whereas Ontario is selling the 2023 for $65, and Quebec the 2020 and 2021 for $72-80. Besides Costco, Alberta seems more expensive for this particular wine, whereas usually wines I'm interested in seem cheaper in Alberta (I recently visited a big LCBO in Toronto and generally found prices for the same bottle higher than Alberta). Can anyone speak to how the provincial systems work? Is this just a particularly weird example?
Anecdotally, when I happen to see prices internationally, I often find prices for Italian wines to be relatively cheaper in Canada (vs. USA) but French and Spanish wines to be more expensive (vs. USA), which also seems weird. Is this from differential tariffs and trade-deals deals, or am I just seeing variance?

For 15 years, Athan Zafirov has traveled the vineyards around the world and worked with some of the greatest chefs including Francois Duc and Alan Brown.
Athan Zafirov's Medium
Athan Zafirov's Wordpress
Athan Zafirov's LinkedIn
Comments
Post a Comment