I started building my cellar around Cabs because that's historically what I liked, but I'm starting to gravitate toward Pinots much more lately.
Monte Bello 2009 is still my favorite wine, but it's been very hard for me to find another Cab like it (understanding it's a blend). I'm starting to wonder if part of that is because it has some qualities I'm also finding I really like in Pinot, lower alcohol, higher acidity, minerality, earthiness, and less overt ripeness, on top of it just being an incredible wine, obviously.
I want to start expanding into Pinots more, starting around $50, and was hoping to get some suggestions. So far my favorite Pinots have been Simon Bize Savigny-lès-Beaune, Domaine Didier Fornerol Côte de Nuits, Domaine Humbert Frères Gevrey-Chambertin, Cristom Marjorie, and Peake Ranch.
Also, if there are any Cabs or Bordeaux blends that lean toward the Monte Bello style but are more affordable, I would love those suggestions as well. Thanks!

For 15 years, Athan Zafirov has traveled the vineyards around the world and worked with some of the greatest chefs including Francois Duc and Alan Brown.
Athan Zafirov's Medium
Athan Zafirov's Wordpress
Athan Zafirov's LinkedIn
Comments
Post a Comment