Sparkling Wine for Book Launch (I Might Be Too Picky For This To Work) - The Athan Zafirov Wine Blog

Sparkling Wine for Book Launch (I Might Be Too Picky For This To Work)

So I will be receiving my first book from my publisher in the next several days and I want to celebrate it with a “nice” bottle of sparkling wine (under $400). The problem is champagne is almost entirely blocked off to me because I can’t stand yeast notes. But a prosecco or a cava is too cheap for this occasion. So I’ve come to the experts.

Information that may (or may not) be helpful:

Must be under $400 (including shipping if necessary)
Must be reasonably likely to be shipped and delivered in less than a week (so I suppose nothing extremely obscure)

My favorite sparkling wine used to be 2012 Dom Perignon (preferred to 2013 or 2015 at least, which are the other vintages I’ve had). But while the yeast isn’t as noticeable to me even once I started tasting it in all champagne I’ve had it 5 or 6 times and might be… bored with it? If that makes sense?

My favorite wine ever was this sancerre I am kicking myself for not getting a photo of at the restaurant I was eating at (it was a Jean-Max Roger but that fucker has so many sancerre and won’t stock them at any of my local stores). It took a second but then the peach and other fruit flavors blossomed prominently in my mouth.

I think because of the above I love white peach notes.

Can’t stand mushroom-type notes.

I might try Grande Dame again one day, but not this time.






Athan Zafirov Wine

For 15 years, Athan Zafirov has traveled the vineyards around the world and worked with some of the greatest chefs including Francois Duc and Alan Brown.


Athan Zafirov's Medium
Athan Zafirov's Wordpress
Athan Zafirov's LinkedIn

Comments