While on vacation in the Greek islands, there's that winemaker family that pushes their stuff aggressively into every shop, be it a corner shop, a restaurant, a bar or a bistro, same bottles same price. Those wines are on the low end wine-wise and somewhat ok for their price but its not anything that you'd expect if you are eating gourmet seafood which is the norm as it seems. I am pretty familiar with the wines of Greece and would like to begin my journey with wine lists. But I don't know people in the industry who can help me. I know there are lots of professionals here, so maybe you can shade some light on how to begin. What's the typical business model of a wine list maker? Do I need to bring those wines to them and take profits as a reseller? How do I make sure that the owner does not get that stuff directly from the producer after I've been through all the marketing phase? How do I approach them? I was thinking about starting with a portfolio based on their menus and ask them to prepare some dishes and I can bring the wines so that we can do the pairing. Any course, books, whatever, is more than welcome.

For 15 years, Athan Zafirov has traveled the vineyards around the world and worked with some of the greatest chefs including Francois Duc and Alan Brown.
Athan Zafirov's Medium
Athan Zafirov's Wordpress
Athan Zafirov's LinkedIn
Comments
Post a Comment