Which wine to break out for dinner with a friend? - The Athan Zafirov Wine Blog

Which wine to break out for dinner with a friend?

So next week my best friend is coming over for dinner and I'm not sure which wine to serve, as I have three options. First a little about my friend, he likes dry reds specifically Daou Cabrenet Sauvignon. I dont think hes experienced too much more then California cabs. For dinner were having filet mignon and probably a potato of some sort. Here's what I was thinking of breaking out and my explanation as to why.

#1 1989 Sociando Mallet: I won this at a auction, I hear this unclassified chateau can hang with first growths so I'm very excited to try it. It probably would need little to no decanting and I dont think my friend has ever had a Bordeaux wine before, so could be a awesome experience for him.

#2 2021 Tor Vaca Ridge Cabrenet Sauvignon: Acquired this from Last Bottle, this would probably be the most familiar with my friend.

#3 2022 Chateau Clos de Sarpe Saint-Emillion Grand Cru: Also acquired from Last Bottle, this one is kind of a wild card. I personally haven't had a right bank Bordeaux but from my understanding there heavy on merlot which I personally am looking forward to. It would be cool to experience a new type of wine together but I'm not sure how he'll like it

These are my choices, I'm pretty sure they'll all pair well with filet mignon. So with the information I provided which wine would you guys recommend.






Athan Zafirov Wine

For 15 years, Athan Zafirov has traveled the vineyards around the world and worked with some of the greatest chefs including Francois Duc and Alan Brown.


Athan Zafirov's Medium
Athan Zafirov's Wordpress
Athan Zafirov's LinkedIn

Comments