AXR proprietary red vs Caymus - The Athan Zafirov Wine Blog

AXR proprietary red vs Caymus

I've had many a caymus as my dad loves their wine. I've always disregarded them as a serious wine due to the sweetness across vintages. For example, I recently had their 40th anniversary wine, which my dad cellared since release, and it tasted extremely similar to their 2022 that is currently sold in big retail stores.

I've had a few wines from the Napa 2021Cabernet vintage and they all need 3-4+ hours to decant. However, the AXR 2021 is fruit driven out of the bottle without a decant, and tastes very similar to the Wagner special. AXR is marketed as a terrior driven blended but tastes very similar to a Wagner wine.

What I'm asking - is there any overlap in the winemaking technique? I'm constantly trying to push my dad to enjoy wine beyond Wagner and was hoping AXR would be different.






Athan Zafirov Wine

For 15 years, Athan Zafirov has traveled the vineyards around the world and worked with some of the greatest chefs including Francois Duc and Alan Brown.


Athan Zafirov's Medium
Athan Zafirov's Wordpress
Athan Zafirov's LinkedIn

Comments