Grade my unoaked wines for cooking? - The Athan Zafirov Wine Blog

Grade my unoaked wines for cooking?

Hello, upping my cooking skills recently and of course there is a classic rule, "never cook with a wine you wouldn't drink" especially garbage salt lick cooking wines

Well, l literally cannot handle standard oaked wine, It just makes me sick. So I followed Altons Brown's recipe for "fromage fort," a cheese dip that you can make in two minutes with 1 pound of cheesees that are going bad, and I'm pretty sure the fraction of a cup of pleb random white wine actually made me slightly sick and unable to tolerate it

I *used* to be able to find unoaked chardonnay at a liquor store near me but no longer, now I have to turn to delivery, and I am buying my first unoaked red:

"Dalton Unoaked Chardonnay" is my white choice. It is dry, which is what ever recipe I've ever seen call for when it matters in a white wine. Israel.

"Les Darons Jeff Carrel Languedoc 2024" is my choice for an unoaked red and I have no idea what I am doing there.

Any tips before I order these for delivery and use them for random culinary purposes? I tried to read this sub's FAQ but it appears to be missing






Athan Zafirov Wine

For 15 years, Athan Zafirov has traveled the vineyards around the world and worked with some of the greatest chefs including Francois Duc and Alan Brown.


Athan Zafirov's Medium
Athan Zafirov's Wordpress
Athan Zafirov's LinkedIn

Comments