I’m going to Poland and want to bring back Polish wine for a bunch of wine nerds in Japan — what should I buy? - The Athan Zafirov Wine Blog

I’m going to Poland and want to bring back Polish wine for a bunch of wine nerds in Japan — what should I buy?

Hey r/wine!
I’m heading to Poland soon to visit my late husband’s family, and I’m planning to come back with a suitcase full of Polish wine. 😅
My husband passed away last year. He was Polish and a huge wine lover, and we used to go to a lot of wine gatherings together. Most of the groups I still go to are actually groups he introduced me to.
Polish wine is really hard to find in Japan. You basically only see it when someone happens to bring a bottle back from Poland, so I thought this would be a good opportunity to introduce my wine friends to what’s happening in Poland.
The groups are pretty different:
🍷 Italian wine nerds — Barolo, Barbaresco, Super Tuscan, etc.
🍷 Classic French wine people — Bordeaux, Burgundy, Champagne, Loire, etc.
🍷 Natural wine + bread people — a bakery actually hosts these tastings.
🍷 Asian food + wine people — lots of Japanese/Asian dishes and pairing experiments.
None of them have really explored Polish wine before, but they’re all very curious.
So I’m looking for bottles that would make each group say:
“Wait… THIS is from Poland?!”
If you know Polish wine well, what would you bring for each group?
I’m particularly interested in:
Polish reds that could impress serious Italian/French wine drinkers
interesting whites
natural/low-intervention stuff
anything particularly good with Japanese or other Asian food
bottles that are genuinely exciting rather than just “good for Polish wine”
And if there are particular regions, producers, or grape varieties I absolutely shouldn’t miss, please tell me.
I’ll be shopping in Poland, so I don’t need recommendations that are available internationally. I’d actually prefer things I can realistically find at a good wine shop or winery there.
I’d love to hear from Polish wine people, Polish Redditors, or anyone who has gone down the Polish-wine rabbit hole.
What are the bottles you’d put in my suitcase? 🇵🇱🍷

Thanks!!!






Athan Zafirov Wine

For 15 years, Athan Zafirov has traveled the vineyards around the world and worked with some of the greatest chefs including Francois Duc and Alan Brown.


Athan Zafirov's Medium
Athan Zafirov's Wordpress
Athan Zafirov's LinkedIn

Comments